The project is divided into 7 different interconnected work packages to deliver technical innovations, economic and social business cases for technical work, and the development of end user decision support tools.
WP1 Contrasting market needs, and business case
Definition of the scenarios and the business case , including optimisation of investment costs, recurring operational cost, component life, and maintenance requirements for best societal and economic outcomes for the different railway categories.
WP2 Tailored track infrastructure, design and maintenance
- Geospatial comparison of infrastructure costs and maintenance drivers for high and low capacity lines.
- Application of lean and automotive optimisation to S&C maintenance and design.
- Life extension of plain line through preventing corrugation.
- Tailoring lubrication to duty and climate.
- Cost effective transition zone design.
WP3 Tailored overhead line power supply infrastructure
- Identification of the factors that influence performance of overhead line, including climate.
- Tailored solutions for improving the quality and performance of overhead line power infrastructure.
- Solutions for minimising the life cycle costs of existing and new overhead line infrastructure.
- Use of low cost track monitoring modules for understanding dynamic loading for plain line and S&C.
- High precision infrastructure monitoring using in service vehicles.
- Real-time monitoring of the safe condition of infrastructure critical components and wireless data transmission.
- Low cost smartphone sensors for vehicle and infrastructure monitoring
WP5 Societal perspective
Collection and analysis of user perceptions and the value placed on different service options including the alternatives if rail travel was no longer available. These societal perspectives will feed into the overall business case and decision support tools.
WP6 Evaluation and decision tools
Development of software decision support and evaluation tools to enable railway decision makers to determine the optimum infrastructure installation and maintenance for the different categories of lines.